viernes, 30 de marzo de 2012

Cyber Well-Being - Week 4


Fighting Cyber-bullying: “Do not Respond nor Engage, but Report

My friend Pavle Luger came up with this motto “Do not Respond nor Engage, but Reportas his response to cyber-bullying, and I think this motto is perfect for a fighting bullying campaign. In fact, it inspired me to create a virtual poster (or glog) about it. Indeed, when dealing with this issue, the best course of action is neither to act in response nor to be dragged into a conflict, but to report the problem. When we are attacked, our first reaction is to defend ourselves. But let’s be clear that “defend” does not mean “strike back”. We must set an example, show our offenders they are acting wrongfully by turning the other cheek, as Jesus Christ said. But if the attacks continue, how do we should defend ourselves? Well, to report the problem to mediators must be our weapon of choice. Violence is never the answer.


Welcome to my Life (Confessions of a bullying victim)

This song “Welcome to my Life” by Simple Plan is about teenage angst, but the lyric hints what it feels like to be bullied. If I were asked “how does it feel to be a victim of bullying?” Well, this might be my answer:

“No, you don't know what it's like 
When nothing feels all right 
You don't know what it's like 
To be like me 
To be hurt 
To feel lost 
To be left out in the dark 
To be kicked when you're down 
To feel like you've been pushed around 
To be on the edge of breaking down 
And no one's there to save you 
No, you don't know what it's like 
Welcome to my life”… 

To feel like this is very dangerous and precarious because when we are “vulnerable” we are prone to do very stupid things, hurting ourselves and others, collaterally. I do not like feeling like this. Nobody would like to feel like this. Moreover, when we bully and hurt someone, we are hurting ourselves whether in the short or long term. But, when we make someone feel good, or when we treat someone respectfully, we feel incredibly good and gratified”. With this I am inviting you to reflect on how would you like to be “welcomed to my life”? 

No hay comentarios: